Learn about what your community is doing and how you can contribute to the sustainability efforts in our area.
Arbor Day Foundation Names Saint Anthony Village Tree City USA
What is Sustainability?
The City of Saint Anthony has always loved its community, and in recent years its people have begun to focus more intently on sustainable living. Put simply, sustainability is the ability to be sustained or upheld. Ecological sustainability comprises of a diverse and productive ecosystem designed for long-term success. Similarly, the diverse skills and interests of the community ensure the enjoyment of our natural resources now and in the future. A community effort has been pivotal in helping the City hold workshops, festivals, and programs to make Saint Anthony a more sustainable place to live.
Sustainability in St. Anthony History
Although it wasn't always coined "sustainability," Saint Anthony has long valued the wise use of its natural resources, and continues to be a leader in the state on sustainability and stormwater best practices. Here's a timeline of sustainability events:
- In the early 1970s, Ray Haik (Legal Council for Village) was the President of the Izaak Walton League and received a plaque for his environmental improvements from the MN Jaycees club.
- In 1973, Sally Haik (First Female City Council Member) addressed pollution levels in Silver Lake. She made movements to protect the lake from fertilizer, weed killer, salt and dirt (Gail D. Olson, A Village in the City, 2011).
- On February 14, 2011, City Council passed a resolution authorizing the city to participate in the state's voluntary GreenStep program.
- In the years following, the city achieved the next available steps, 2 and 3 by completing best practices laid out by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. Learn more about Best Practices.
- In June 2016, the city was one of the first six in the state to receive Step 4 recognition and was also recognized as the second city ever to receive the Sustainable City Award.
Sustainable Activities & Practices
- The Sustainability Fair is an annual event hosted here in Saint Anthony in conjunction with the U of M, Lauderdale, Falcon Heights, Three Rivers Park District and Citizens for Sustainability.
- See today's air quality at the MPCA Air Quality Index.
- Use Twin Cities Free Market to receive and give items.
- See Metro Transit's Route Map for planning a bus route.
- Learn more about Green Transportation with Bike/Walk Twin Cities.
- Reduce your car idling with the Young Lungs at Work Campaign.
- Keep up to date with the Minnesota Sustainable Communities Network at The Next Step.
- Attend a Fix-it Clinic in Hennepin County or Ramsey County to fix appliances, mobile devices, clothing, and electronics instead of throwing them away.
- Recycle old electronics at Tech Dump.